Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Inspirational

I had to write an inspirational speech for my class. It proved to be very difficult to write. I ended up settling for this the night before it was due. I'm not sure if I'm proud of it or I just settled for the first thing that seemed stick:


     It’s hard to sleep sometimes. My mind is like some great literary critic and each day is a new book. At the end of each one it must analyze the events, characters, and themes until it simply cannot anymore. Even more, this critic makes speculation about how to better improve the sequels to come. Which is always the most difficult part. It isn’t until hours later that the process is either at some stopping point or I cannot physically keep awake to finish. This is partly the reason you can find me at my computer writing, listening, and thinking at some wee hours of the morning. Much like the writing process of this speech.

            You see I’m a curious person. I wonder what’s to come in life as I can imagine all of us are during this year. I worry about these things and how to best prepare myself for them. How to make myself the best person I can be. It seems like a simple process of finding a flaw, fixing it, and then moving on to the next one. Lather, rinse, repeat. But when your mind over evaluates your problems then suddenly step two becomes much more difficult. Then you begin to worry about other related problems and pretty soon it becomes one big train-wreck of thought. This is when I cannot find sleep. But when I have control this self-evaluation is my most valuable tool. I am able to realize all my flaws and really do try and fix them.

My advice to you would be to always be honest with yourself and realize that you are human and you can always use improvement. By doing this you could be more courageous, you could burst your bubble, or even embrace your secrets. In my case, so far, I’ve come to realize that I would like to become a more kind, understanding, and selfless person. These are my biggest problems and I’ve realized that they’ll take some work out and truly correct them. But each person is different and each situation is as well.

So please. Be honest with yourself and continue to improve. It’s the least you can do to make this world a little better for you and everyone around you. And don’t forget to get some sleep as well because each morning is beautiful when you’ve finished a good book.

1 comment:

Harlequin said...

I'm glad you found the words - because those are the words, if there ever were any. :)